Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Residency Wrapup, Summer 2011

Lost in the fact that this was the best residency ever are a few minor details.

* Last residency I made the mistake of bringing a floss dispenser that had about an inch of floss left in it. I refused to make the same mistake twice. This time, I forgot to bring a floss dispenser at all. After 11 days sans floss, Phil vs. gingivitis will be one of the compelling battles over the rest of the summer.

* Parkinson's Law ("work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion") applies to MFA residencies. We had more free time at this residency than any other, and yet I've never been so sleep-deprived at a residency because we capitalized on the extra time by staying up all night. I never went to bed earlier than 12:45 on any night of this residency -- at every previous residency there were a couple of nights where everyone crashed at 11.

* I lost a pen. It was one of my favorite pens. Let this be a lesson to all of you -- don't try to write while drunk.

* Also, don't blog drunk. I blogged at least twice while completely hammered. Not only do you write things that make no sense, but I also discovered it's really difficult to type while drunk. No matter how hard you concentrate, you always hit the wrong keys, keys that are not even close to each other, and the word "this" comes out as "werd." I kid you not.

I will file these lessons away for my graduation residency in December/January.

No comments:

Post a Comment