Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Student Reading Introduction

This morning my roommate Cisco gave the 20-minute student reading all the MFA candidates are required to give in order to graduate.

Normally a faculty member introduces the student. But he grabbed me right before his reading and said, "Hey can you introduce me?"

I said, "Umm."

He said, "All of my mentors are either no longer in the program or not here until the second half of the residency."

Made sense. But I wasn't really sure what to say. I hate it when I have to give a speech on short notice. Luckily Cisco is a laid-back guy.

So on his request I strode up to the podium and said, "Yeah, this is Cisco. He's my roommate."

He was pleased. Now he is playing guitar about 10 feet away from me and is about 72 hours from graduation. I'm glad I could play a small role in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment