Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fourth of July

My Fourth of July plans had been simple -- a cookout at a friend's house. These plans took a dramatic change when my friend's father, who is in his 80s, fell at home and had to be rushed to the emergency room.

There are many reasons to celebrate the Independence Day that don't involve cooking out or fireworks. It celebrates our declaring independence from a British Empire that at the time was oppressively infringing upon our civil liberties and taxing us without representation. Still, it sucks when your plans fall through.

Luckily, my mom called to ask how I was adjusting to my new place. She lives in Boston in a high-rise and has a great view of downtown. I mentioned to her that my plans fell through and she invited me over. This was still easier said than done, since she is right off Storrow Drive, a key route of the festivities, and also a Red Sox game was taking place yesterday afternoon.

In one of those miracle of miracles, I don't think I've ever hit less traffic in Boston. Either people were scared off by the prospect of driving in or I went in early enough in the day to avoid the mass traffic. We had pizza and chips and soda and watched the fireworks on TV and from out my mom's window.

Plan B's really come through in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment