Monday, August 8, 2011

The Blog The Wasn't

I had a blog all formulated out in my head last night. All I needed to do was sit down and type it. Except I made one big mistake.

I flipped on the Red Sox-Yankees game.

Sox-Yankees games never last less than 3 1/2 hours. And for an 8 p.m start (when the series is played over the weekend, the game is required by federal law to be picked up as the Sunday night ESPN telecast), four hours is the norm. When these series have playoff implications, as they always seem to, Josh Beckett and Jonathan Papelbon will start taking even longer than usual in between pitches, and after the starters are yanked Joe Girardi and Terry Francona will go to the bullpen after every other batter. And ESPN's Bobby Valentine will slow down the game even more by constantly talking about himself.

And then, as last night, the game will go into extra innings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that the Sox got to Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the 9th. But this meant I could kiss the blog goodbye. It ws 12:05 a.m. and the teams were tied at 2 and I had to get up early this morning to run some errands.

Luckily, Girardi yanked Rivera in favor of Phil Hughes for the 10th and predictably, the Sox got to Hughes in the bottom of the 10th and won the game 3-2. Maybe Girardi had a blog to write too. But I just lost all the momentum to write that blog I had in my mind.

So I'll just write it for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. We won't hold you to a time table. We'll even let you blog early if you want ;)
    ps. Sox would have been happy if they left Rivera in too... they love Mariano!

    ReplyDelete