Thursday, April 14, 2011

RIP AMC

I saw all the Facebook posts today about the end of AMC. At first I was like, "What the fuck? Who's gonna air Mad Men now?"

Then I surfed the 'Net and realized the AMC in question is All My Children, which, along with One Life to Live, will be going to that daytime scheduling slot in the sky next year, as ABC cancels two of its iconic soap operas to make room for two new talk shows. One is The Chew, which I guess i like The View for food. The other, with the working title of The Revolution, will be a show about health and lifestyle transformations.

Other than my vague recollection of Susan Lucci being nominated 57 years in a row for a Daytime Emmy, I have zero interest in soap operas. My grandmother was obsessed with them, though, as if they were not fiction but reality TV before its time, and I remember as a kid having to sit through them surfing summer vacation because she was enthralled by the storylines.

So you can imagine how this is going over in Soap Opera Nation.

In fact, a cursory check of ABC.com shows some rather hilarious reactions to this news. In fact, the unanimous reaction of more than 100 posts is that ABC officially sucks. Which is to be expected. I mean, I also have my mindless, guilty pleasures (i.e.., The Bachelor). I may disagree with these folks, but everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Soap operas, however, are the pinnacle of intellectual television. I mean, I'm surprised PBS doesn't air them. So I'm just gonna step aside and let these junkies speak for themselves...

"There are plenty of programs that can be cut, such as the stupid "Bachelor and Bachelorette" and then there's "Wipeout". Even "DWTS" that I use to love,,, where are the stars?"

"I think I will quit watching daytime TV altogether. I am 63 years old and have been watching soaps since I was little and watched them with my Mother."

"I'm so dam mad I can't even type correctly."

"YOUR ALREADY LOST "OPRAH" ARE YOU TRYING TO LOOSE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF YOUR AUDIENCE"

"YOU GUYS IDOTS --- THIS IS WORST THAN OUR COUNTRY'S BUDGET ISSUE NOW"

"The only thing ABC should be cancelling is (programming director) Brian Frons"

"after jan 2012 i will NOT allow anyone in my home to watch ABC i will figure out how to block you from my TV."

"The View is horrible! I don't know any women that watch it at all. All the women do is complain and argue and try to push their opinions down our throats. We don't need any more shows like this!"

"Get ready to see your profits plummet, you'll be in the red before 2012 is over if you keep up with this stupid decisions. Sponsors will be pulling their ads before you know it."

And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment