Friday, January 21, 2011

Hartford Courant Reunion

Recently I was switched to the new Facebook format.  I'm not crazy about being converted to new formats against my will, or about how all my photos are posted in such a way that I look like I had been decapitated just before they were taken.  On the other hand, it's not something I'll lose sleep over.

One thing that seems to have an odd correlation with the new format is a dramatic increase in the number of suggestions Facebook gives me to friend Hartford Courant folks (I was a reporter at the Courant from 1997 to 2002).  I don't know if the Courant sent out an edict for the newsroom staff to get on Facebook, but 95% of the new friend suggestions I get have ties somehow to the Courant, either current of former newsroom staff.  The other five percent is made up of writers and Russians.

This is certainly not meant to be a complaint.  We all complain about Facebook for one reason or another, but of the things Facebook does right is allow us to reconnect with people we lost touch with, whether it's high school classmates or former coworkers from four jobs ago.  It does require a lot of work on my part, trying to remember how well I knew someone.  But the Courant constituted five important years of my life, and I've wondered how a lot of those folks are doing.  It's probably worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment