Thursday, October 7, 2010

Who Wants to be Part of the Worst Audience Ever?

So yesterday was my annual pilgrimmage to New York City to attend a taping of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."  I was up at 3:30 a.m. so I could catch the 5:45 Acela train out of Providence.  New York was a fun time; I only got almost-hit by a taxicab twice.

The taping was fun, too, though I was part of the worst audience ever. We saw three episodes, over that time we were called on by a contenstant seven times.  Three of those seven times we got the answer wrong, including one time when 62% of us voted for the wrong answer.  It got so bad that, toward the end of the taping, on a question when 67% of us voted for an answer, the contestant actually went against us and picked an alternate choice -- so, of course, that time we were right.  Nothing's sadder than watching a "Millionaire" contestant who sabotaged herself make the sad walk off-stage.

Now I'm stressed, though.  When you go to a taping they give you test, and if you pass the test you're eligible to be a contestant.  I passed.  After the taping, I was interviewed by the show's staff, so my performance in that interview will be the key.  I was pretty zonked after being up for 12 hours and taking the train down to NYC, so I don't know how vibrant I sounded.

I'm also scared that, if I do go on the show, I'll get an easy answer wrong and embarass myself on national TV.  This absolutely terrifies me. 

4 comments:

  1. I'll be your friend in the audience- 1 cough means A, 2 coughs means B...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! can i be your "phone a friend?" option?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. I'm thinking some of the Salem Witch trials probably had worse outcomes for the "contestants."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Salem Witch trial contestants did not have the option to "jump the question."

    ReplyDelete