Saturday, October 2, 2010

Don't Ask Someone Who's Never Heard of Dr. Pepper Cake Where The Cake Is

Just got home from a birthday party for one of my writer's group friends. Great time. (I mean, if it's 2:30 a.m. and you're just getting home, either your car broke down or that's a pretty good endorsement.)

The only downside happened early in the night. One of the big highlights of the night was the Dr. Pepper birthday cake. I asked someone (who shall remain nameless) if those "things over there on toothpicks" were slivers of the cake. This person said yes. I grabbed one and started to eat it.  Emphasis on started, because it was actually some hideous vegetable thing that I had to run to the bathroom to spit out, which probably made my friend's roommates think I have the manners of a pig -- which I often do, but I try to hide this outside of my circle of friends.

I know, I know, it was stupid of me to think something on toothpicks was a slice of Dr. Pepper cake. But it was black and shiny (which I thought was the frosting), so at the moment it made sense. The person I asked had never heard of Dr. Pepper cake until the party started and really was in no position to know what the cake would look like either.

Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. I've never had Dr Pepper cake...
    I have had 7-up cake
    sounds like it could be yummy... did you end up finding it? How was it?
    Never trust anything black and shiny, or anyone you don't know to tell you the correct item, or the right directions. People have an odd sense of humor and the worst of them can come out when they want to have some fun! After all whats funnier than knowing yuou directed someone to eat something hideous or into the bad part of town!

    ReplyDelete