Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Michael Scott

Tonight will be a bittersweet night. It will be the farewell of Michael Scott on The Office. He's moving to Colorado to help his girlfriend Holly Flax care for her sick parents.

The Office has always been one of my favorite shows, and he's a major reason. Not because I like Michael Scott. He's an idiot. I, personally, would never fworm for a company in which he was my supervisor. He's an inept boss, and everything that somehow goes right in the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin happens in spite of him, not because of him. But it's part of what makes the show funny.

In fact, Michael Scott has influenced my life. A few years ago I was on a dating site, and I was contacted by a young woman who expressed an interest in getting to know me. The opening sentence of her profile said, "I can tell you what I'm NOT looking for: someone who's like Michael Scott." I was like, "Wow. Way to set the bar high." I never contacted her, and shortly thereafter canceled my membership. (She also lived in Maine and longed be a housewife, so I was pretty confident it never would've worked. But still, the opening sentence was a step in the wrong direction.) 

Whether The Office will be able to recover from this I don't know. There are some other great characters (Jim & Pam, Dwight, Erin & Gabe, Kevin, etc.). But Michael Scott was the obnoxious glue that kept everyone together.

No comments:

Post a Comment