Sunday, April 24, 2011

Expired Registration

So I had already mentioned that, thanks to SyFy Channel, my Easter was off to a bad start.

Then, I'm on my way to mom's house when I see a police cruiser hanging out alongside Route 9. I continue toward Boston when suddenly I see the cruiser behind me, with lights flashing. Crap. I pull over.

"Do you know why I stopped you," he asks.

In all honesty, I don't. I wing it. "Was I speeding?" I ask.

"No. Your inspection sticker is expired."

I look over to the passenger's side of my windshield. Shit. I can see "2" and "2011" on it. I've lost track of time. It's April now.

Honestly, I'm shocked this hasn't happened sooner. Two weeks ago I learned that they do Saturday night sobriety checks on the Quinsigammond Bridge up the street from me, as I got stuck in one, and the officer apparently never noticed my expired sticker. And I've been tailed by numerous other crusiers in the month-and-a-half since my sticker expired. Maybe the cops aren't as observant as I give them credit for.

I give him my license and registration. He hands me back a $50 ticket.

This opens up a can of worms. This would be a really lame excuse to bag out of Easter dinner with Mom. But I'm in Westboro and still have a long way to get to her place. Theoretically I could spend all afternoon getting stopped in each town on the way to Boston. And if I get the wrong officer, maybe my car will get towed. Can I claim double jeopardy if I get stopped again? It'd be a long walk to Boston, especially with Easter dinner in tow.

Luckily I avoided any other sirens (though I did have two cruisers within striking distance). The rest of Easter went without a hitch.

Now to go get my car inspected this morning. 

2 comments:

  1. There seems to be a veritable epidemic of this happening: you're the third person I know whose registration expired. One got multiple tickets before getting to the DMV, the other got towed. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they're no longer sending out reminders because they want to make money off the tickets. Totally plausible. And reprehensible! We writers (and 21st century human beings) have too much on our minds as it is. I know this makes me sound like a diva, but I need these things to be as easy as possible.

    ReplyDelete