Tuesday, May 27, 2014

What-ifs

A couple of years ago I lived in a duplex in Whitinsville. The attic was my bedroom. I spent a lot of time in that attic. I got a lot of work done on my master's thesis there. It was like being a kid again -- a secret hideout. Eventually I moved out, but I always had fond memories of my time there.


Six months ago a fire displaced everyone there and, sadly, the pet dog died. The house was rebuilt and my ex-roommate moved back in last week. Sad memories but ultimately everyone regrouped and emerged stronger than before.


Still, if I had been living in that attic last November, I probably wouldn't be here today.


Sometimes you think about what-ifs, and you think about circumstances that send you from one residence to another, life decisions that seem pretty benign. And you're happy about the path on which fate puts you.






No comments:

Post a Comment