Wednesday, May 23, 2012

How To Embarrass Someone -- 3 Easy Steps

Tuesday night I went to Target to buy some new khakis. What didn't occur to me was to leave the red collared shirt at home.

I got to the checkout line and the cashier looked at the two khakis I was purchasing, and my red shirt, and asked,

"Welcome aboard. When ya starting with us?"

Cute. He was apparently serious. But I turned the tables on him.

Step 1: I ignored him. This caused him to ask again.

Step 2: I stared at him.

Step 3: I said, "I don't know what you're talking about. I just happen to be buying new khakis. I'm not starting a new job, here at Target or anywhere else."

Now, I actually am starting a new job and they are for the gig. But he didn't have to know that. He turned as red as his Target shirt.

"I'm so sorry, sir," he said. "I shouldn't have assumed." (By this time I'm thinking, wow he really did think I was joining the team.)

I probably should've just told him yeah, I'm starting a new job. Chalk it up to a bad mood. I'm a jerk sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment