Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rejecting the Rejector

The day I looked at the place I'm moving into now I also looked at other places. One was in Worcester, not far from where I live now.

I met the young woman (a med school student) who lived there that evening. Let's just call her "Simone." Simone showed me the place. It was nice. She told me that one other person would be looking at the place the following evening and that if I wanted the place I would need first months' rent and security deposit. I told her I was looking at one other place (my new place in Whitinsville) and would get back to her later that evening.

Ultimately, what tipped the scales toward Whitinsville for me was that the Worcester place had on-street parking, which is a pain in the ass. So that night I got home and sent an email to Simone, telling her that I really liked the place but that I'd put down a deposit elsewhere, and wished her the best in her search.

The next morning I got this response from Simone:

"Hi Phil, The room has already been taken, but thanks for keeping me informed about your situation."

Really?

So, Simone, you had an appointment to see another person later than night but you've already rented out the place.

This leads me to several conclusions.

1) Simone didn't like me. Which is fine. I'm not great at first impressions, and I long ago accepted the fact that I'm not the most likable person in the world. But if you don't think I'd be a good match for the place, why not just be honest and say so? You could say "I'm not sure you'd be a good fit here," or be more subtle and say something like "We're leaning towards choosing a female roommate." 

This leads me to my second conclusion....

2) Simone was pissed that I rejected her first. If you're not interested in me, and I've already told you I'm not interested in you, why bother responding at all? If you had emailed me first and said, "We're going in a different direction," I never would've responded, since I already knew it was a non-issue. (And as such, I didn't respond to her email.) How passive-aggressive are you that you feel that need to say, "Oh yeah, well you're not rejecting me. I'm rejecting you."

This leads me to my final conclusion....

3) I think I made a smart choice moving somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment