Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kicking the Irish While They're Down

As one of the all-time Notre Dame haters, I enjoyed it when Stanford bunbled those arrogant, self-important boors 37-14, dropping the Irish to 1-3 on the season.  Ratings for Notre Dame home games on NBC have been up thus far this year, probably thanks to curiosity over new coach Brian Kelly.  They had been dropping in the Charlie Weis era as the team continued to lose.

I contend that Notre Dame's TV deal with NBC actually hurts the program.  When I watch college football on Saturdays (and I was late to the party yesterday, see yesterday's blog for details), I check, in order, ABC, CBS, ESPN and ESPN2.  NBC is an afterthought because they only televise one school, half of the time.  I suspect most people's midnset is similar to mine. 

The irony.  The big TV deal, standing in the way of success.

Couldn't happen to a better team.

No comments:

Post a Comment