Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Blinked

Yesterday I was supposed to go to a job fair in Connecticut. I'm happy in Massachusetts. I don't want to leave. But you know, I'm now unemployed and, hey, some of the companies (Target, ADP, the IRS) have offices all over.  Why not?

The problem is that Tropical Storm Nicole (see yesterday's three-sentence post) was rumbling through Connecticut.  I wasn't going to let that bitch stop me.  So I headed down to Fairfield anyway.

The moment I crossed the state line into Connecticut, the weather took a turn for the worse.  Instead of a steady drizzle, it really started to pour.  And I'm sitting there on I-84 and beginning to feel for a split-second like I was hydroplaning.  I regained control without any problem, but it was enough for me to decide, nope, not worth it. 

All the companies in the job fair were listed online.  I turned around and headed back to the safety of my living room and Dell laptop, and started applying to these places online.

I'm not proud of myself.  I stared Nicole right in the face.  And I blinked.

3 comments:

  1. You were smart... I-84 is a difficult stretch. Too many accidents involving tractor trailers and such.

    We want our Phil safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I use the stretch of I-84 near the Mass/CT border as a metaphor for all weird, scary, in-between-reality-and-illusion types of life experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who needs a job fair in the rain, anyway!? Especially that rain. I've been driving the backroads to work for the past three days; no highways, thank you. Good choice, Phil.

    ReplyDelete