Sunday, August 21, 2011

Facebook Stanger

One of the things about having a new laptop is that the touchpad is often unpredictable -- either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. A few weeks back this came into play when I was trying to click onto a Facebook photo and accidentally sent a friend request to a total stranger.

This really bothered me. I mean, we all have degrees of Facebook friends, but generally all of my Facebook friends are someone with whom I've at least one conversation with in the past. I've had friend requests from people who I did not know and always found them confusing and a little creepy.

So I tried figuring out if I could withdraw the friend request for a few minutes, before finding something more interesting to do on Facebook and moving on with my life.

Apparently my worries were not shared. The next morning I fired up my laptop again and saw the following email:

"[Total Stranger] (not this person's real name) accepted your friend request."

Turns out this person has close to the maximum 5,000 Facebook friends and is actually somewhat famous (i.e., this person is the subject of a Wikipedia article).

Sigh of relief. Hopefully this person will never suspect that I'm creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment