Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bob

Twenty years ago this weekend, Hurricane Bob rolled through New England.

Usually in New England, when we get hurricanes they've been severely weakened and are no longer hurricanes and the news refers to them as "The Remnants of Hurricane XYZ..." To date, Bob is the last hurricane to hit New England as a hurricane. (In 1996, Hurricane Edouard brushed by Nantucket with hurricane-force gusts, but a hurricane has to have sustained winds of 74 mph or higher.)

I remember the day Bob hit. I was at home, and in a moment of bravado and silliness I decided to go outside and sit on the front steps.

I was living in Belmont, Mass., at the time, and being inland probably helped a great deal. It's not like I felt like I was about to blow away, but being pelted by rain and bobbing and weaving with the winds got old after 20 minutes.

It was more fun to watch from inside.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Bob wreaked havoc on the Cape... tossing boats on shore, breaking moorings, windows, flooding, etc. Off Cape it was pretty much a heavy rainstorm and very windy day! It was fun walking around afterwards, surveying the damage from downed limbs and tossed branches --- as long as we didn't have to deal with any clean-up!

    ReplyDelete