Friday, September 5, 2014

Headlights

One of the pitfalls of living on a busy street is, sometimes I have to wait for oncoming traffic to subside before I pull into my driveway. Occasionally, even at night.


This was the situation not long ago as I'm coming home for the evening. And as I'm stopped, patiently waiting in the road, I see headlights in my rear-view mirror. A car is approaching behind me.


Approaching.


Approaching.


And suddenly I realize, this car's not slowing down. It's going to slam into me from behind.


And I still can't pull into the driveway because I'll get hit by an oncoming car.


So I hit the gas and gun it as fast as I can. The car behind me barely misses rear-ending me, finally swerving at the last minute about 50 yards up the road from where I was initially stopped, nearly ending up in a ditch along the side of the road.


I don't normally spend that much time looking in my rear-view mirror. I'm glad I did tonight.






   

No comments:

Post a Comment