Thursday, October 27, 2011

Phil vs. RMV

My driver's license expires in a few days. The way it works in Massachusetts, every other time you get your driver's license renewed you have to physically show up to the RMV and have a new picture taken, and unfortunately this was my every other time. So I printed out all the information I needed and headed to the Leominster RMV, less than a 10-minute drive from me.

The parking lot was empty, and I was excited. Then I tried walking in and the doors were locked.

Crap. I forgot.

The RMV doesn't open until 10 a.m. on Thursdays.

I ran some errands to kill a half-hour of time. Of course, when I returned, there was a line wrapped around the sidewalk.

We all herded in like cattle at 9:59 a.m. when they opened the doors. As I waited for my number to be called my mind wandered (How come you can get a Patriots, Red Sox or Bruins vanity plate but not a Celtics plate?)

I got called up. I gave the woman my paperwork. I kept expecting there to be a snag. The woman asked me to look in the viewfinder to do the eye test. I recited one line, then the computer that runs the eye test stalled.

"Eh, you're good," said the woman.

Then she took my mug shot and after a minute or two spit out a temporary license for me. No overdue excise bills or any bullshit. The real license should be in the mail in a couple of days.

It still took 40 minutes, but it could've been worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment