Tuesday, January 1, 2013

On Making Last-MInute New Year's Plans

It dawned on me Dec. 28 that I hadn't made any plans for New Year's Eve.

Big problem. Some nights I'm perfectly comfortable relaxing at home in front of the TV or the laptop. New Year's Eve is not one of them. New Year's Eve is a lousy holiday to spend at home twiddling your thumbs. I don't necessarily have to party or go to FirstNight or Times Square. But I want to do something social.

Part of my falling asleep at the switch was because the past three years, I've had ready-made plans for New Year's Eve, as my MFA program always has a big bash to ring in the new year. It's the New Year's party that has everything -- champagne, music, debutantes, sea monsters. Not to be missed.

But that was not an option for me this year. Suddenly I was in scramble mode. I made a few calls.

And luckily, I was able to secure some plans.

It was a wild time. Much liquor was imbibed. A pair of tongs were thrown and opened a nice-sixed chunk in the wall. The police were called twice.

No sea monsters, unfortunately. But another successful New Year's Eve accomplished.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment