Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Keystone Karriers

Yesterday a package came for me in the mail, but I wasn't here to sign for it.  I know what it is.  It's an important package.  The carrier left a note for me that it would be available to sign for today at the post office in downtown Worcester.

I go down there this morning.  The guy at the counter disappears for 10 minutes and then he comes back and this conversation ensues:

Him: "It's lost."

Me: "What do you mean it's lost?"

Him: "Well it's not lost, the carrier has probably already left for his daily rounds. He'll bring it to you this morning."

Me: "I won't be home this morning."

Him: "He'll leave another note for you."

Me: "Can't they just leave it here so I can pick it up?"

Him: "You have to sign for this package."

Me: "I can sign for it here."

Him: "It's not here right now."

Me: "The note says it's available for pickup March 1, right?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Today's March 1, right?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "How am I supposed to pick up this package if you keep trying to deliver it when I'm not home, and when I come here it's not here?"

Him: "I don't know."

Me: "What is this, the Keystone Kops?  This is really lousy service."

Him: "I can live with it."

What an asshole.  This is the absurdity of our bloated inefficient postal service.  By the way, you'll hear postal service employees tell you that the Postal Service is self-sufficient and privately funded and does not receive taxpayer money. This statement is total bullshit.  The United States Postal Service is supposed to be self-sufficient.  But every year that the USPS runs a deficit -- which, of course, happens every year -- they borrow from the U.S. Treasury to cover the gap. 

Where do they think the U.S. Treasury money comes from?

It's nice to know my important packages are in such capable hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment