Saturday, November 12, 2011

Triple Murder

Crazy shit happens when my cable and internet goes out.

On Friday, I hung out with a friend and her two kids and briefly returned home around 4 p.m. to discover that my cable, internet and phone were all out. A call to Comcast didn't solve the problem, and thus I waited it out for a day. Two Comcast technicians arrived around 5 p.m. Saturday and fixed the problem.

I checked out the Internet to see what I missed in the 25 hours I was offline, and the first thing I stumbled upon was this. It's a story about a triple murder next door to the home where my grandparents lived when they were alive (they passed away in 2005 and 2008), and where my cousin lives now. I exchanged a series of text messages with her (I don't really like to text but it seemed less intrusive at this particular time) and she's shaken but safe.

Even though I only lived there for a total of a year -- maybe a year-and-a-half -- much earlier in life, because of Thanksgivings and Christmases and family gatherings I very much grew up next door to the crime scene. I knew the family only casually but you can imagine how chilling it is to know that someone I waved and said hi to dozens of times has suffered this fate.

This is going to be one of those nights where you think about the important things in life, and not do a lot of sleeping.

1 comment: