Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Election Day

I just moved to Fitchburg a month and a half ago. One of the first things I did when I moved to town was register to vote, because, like other Massachusetts municipalities that don't use the town meeting form of government, yesterday was Election Day in Fitchburg.

I almost forgot to vote, not remembering it was Election Day until I woke up yesterday morning. There was a contested mayoral race in town. I knew precious little about the candidates, the issues. But I can literally see my ward's polling station from my apartment. I would've felt like a total chump if 'd skipped out.

So I went online to the sites of both mayoral candidates, to see what they stood for and their positions on the issues. In my mind, one candidate clearly stood out as the better choice. I did the same for the city council and school board positions (there weren't many up for grabs). And then I walked about 200 feet to the polls and voted.

Too often we're fixated on the "big" races (president, governor, senator) and we forget what Tip O'Neill once said, that all politics are local. I feel more informed today as a result of my participation in democracy. I feel like a citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment