Friday, April 19, 2013

Boston Strong

I'm not even sure I have the words right now. But I feel a tremendous sense of relief.

I really thought it would take months, if not longer, to find the cowards behind The Boston Marathon Bombings. Sure, it was the Marathon and it's one of the most photographed events of the year. But that also means there's volumes of footage, so you're looking for a needle in a haystack. Like all other professions, there are good cops and bad cops and it's great to see the good in the Boston, Watertown, Massachusetts State police and the FBI, ATF and everyone else who had a role in this, people much braver than me, who work 24, 30 hours or more at a time. Great police work all the way around.

I never like to talk about miracles when fatalities are involved. But, given the carnage at the Finish Line and what ensued, it's amazing that only four people have died. It's a tribute to Boston, which has some of the best health care in the world.

I'm glad my local friends and family are all safe. I thank everyone from elsewhere in the country who checked on my well-being. It was deeply touching and meant a lot.

I especially tip my cap to my New York brothers and sisters, who were among the most forthcoming in checking up on my own emotional state. They are lifelong sports enemies of mine, but they went through this on a much larger scale on Sept. 11, 2001, and while 9/11 affected all of us, I now have a better sense of the deeper pain New Yorkers went through. We will continue to battle on the field and in social media, but this week Boston and New York were one badass team.

Speaking of sports, this feels like winning a championship. I'm half-expecting a Duck Boat Parade.

I haven't lost a loved one, or a limb, or really much of anything. But my sense of humanity was shaken and I am glad to have regained that. Bostonians can be douchebags. But for one week, I'm glad we acquitted ourselves well, and I have even more pride in the city I grew up around than before. Boston Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment