Monday, July 25, 2011

Driver's-side Rear Window

On my way home from my MFA program, I drove one of my classmates to T. F. Green Airport outside of Providence. I drive by Green to get home, so it wasn't taking me out of my way.

As we hopped on the highway, I heard thwumping sounds coming from the back of my car. My first instinct was, Shit, a flat tire. Luckily it wasn't that. But my driver's-side rear window was down.

This is odd. I've owned my car for 3 1/2 years and haven't rolled the back-seat windows down once. And when I tried to roll it back up (my car only has roll-up buttons and not the old-fashioned rollers), it wouldn't budge. My classmate even got out of the car and tried to force it up as I hit the button, without success.

So it made for a loud ride home, as the wind made that thwumping sound whipping through the car. I dropped off my classmate and drove home. I occasionally tried the button again. Still no luck.

I got home, dropped off my bags and tried to nap for a few minutes. But the window thing was bothering me and preventing me from sleeping. So I got in the car and was about to head out to see if someone could fix the window when I hit the button one last time.

Success.

Now I was really nervous. I wondered if the window rolled off the track once we hopped onto I-95, and if that would happen every time I got on the highway. So, since I still had my security deposit from my old landlord, I figured this was a great time to hop on the highway and to my bank to deposit it in person.

No problems with the windshield.

I just got back from a fun but also long and rigorous residency. I really wish my car wouldn't fuck with me like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment