Friday, September 23, 2011

Moving Day

My day:

8:41 -- Wake up.

8:43 -- Piss break.

9:00 -- Head over to New Braintree post office, which opens at 9, to fill out change-of-address form. It's a sunny day, unusual of late.

9:09 -- Arrive at post office, which is still closed. Someone peeks out the window and has a "Shit. We got busted" look on her face.

9:10 -- Post office opens.

9:24 -- Return to the farm to start packing my car. Tell myself to be careful on the stairs.

9:27 -- While carrying the first box down from the attic, I trip and fall down the stairs, spraining my left ankle. I throw f-bombs about how this is the last thing I need right now and it takes my mind off the pain. I try to walk around, and after limping for 30 seconds, my ankle seems to recover and I can walk normally again. Continue packing.

10:19 -- With the first carful loaded, head to new apartment in Fitchburg.

12:12 -- The adrenalin is beginning to wane and my ankle starts to become sore.

12:23 -- With the first carful unpacked, I head back to New Braintree for second go-around. It's beginning to cloud up.

1:00 -- The sky opens up and it begins to pour. Perfectly bad timing.

1:01 -- My ankle is becoming more and more uncomfortable.

1:30 -- I can barely walk in the door in New Braintree because my ankle is in such pain. I crawl upstairs and reach for aspirin.

1:41 -- While trying to get the second load in the car, the pain in my ankle gradually dissipates.

3:30 -- The second carload is in, I've pulled out of the driveway and headed back to Fitchburg. Better yet, my ankle feels great. In fact, I'm barely aware that I even have a left ankle. Holy shit, aspirin really is a miracle drug. Does cocaine work like this?

3:31 -- It's raining harder than ever.

5:00 -- After getting stuck behind a school bus and fighting rush-hour traffic, I'm back in Fitchburg to unload the second car, all the while mindful that I have a writer's group meeting at 7 in Cambridge. Trying to rush.

5:30 -- I've successfully unpacked the second load. I jump in the shower, mindful that the second I take my left shoe off the ankle will swell up like a watermelon.

5:46 -- Miraculously, my rain boots still fit around my ankle, though it's definitely a tighter fit than normal. Prepare to head for writer's group meeting.

5:50 -- Seconds after I pull out of the driveway, low-fuel light goes on. Pull into gas station.

6:00 -- Hit the road for Cambridge, Still pouring.

7:00 -- Pull into Alewife T Station to catch Red Line to Porter Square.

7:27 -- Get to writer's group.

9:22 -- Writer's group ends. We walk outside and torrential downpours like nothing all day are pelting us.

9:51 -- Back to Alewife to pick up car.

11:37 -- Pull in for what will hopefully be only one final night on the farm. Prepare to do it all again Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment