Saturday, September 25, 2010

Writer, Football Fan -- In That Order?

Today, I spent most of the morning sleeping.  (Some idiot wrong number called me at 7:34 am.  Question, Mr. or Mrs. Wrong Number: why are you up that early on a Saturday? And even if you have to be, why would you call someone else, who probably doesn't have to be up that early?  Luckily, I was able to go back to sleep pretty quickly.)  And then I went to Trader Joe's, and then I came back here and wrote.

It didn't occur to me until a few minutes ago to turn on the TV, since it's...Saturday....you know....college football day.  Holy shit.  I'm missing college football!

To be honest, while I enjoy watching a game, I'm really a lost soul when it comes to college football.  I grew up rooting for Boston College, but they're kind of a frustrating team to follow -- every year they go 8-4 and play in a low-grade bowl game.  Syracuse, where I got my undergrad degree, sucks.  Fairfield, where I'm currently pursuing a master's, doesn't have a team.  I find myself watching NCAA football as a pseudo-coach, thinking about what play I'd call here, whether to kick of go for it on fourth down, go for 1 or 2 after the touchdown, etc.  And, actually, I'm such a nut that watching football that way that can seriously occupy my time all day and night.

But, having totally forgotten about college football and missing an hour-and-a-half of action, does that mean I've officially become a writer first and football fan second?

Hmmm.  I'll have to ask my writer's group tonight.

       

2 comments:

  1. I have an opinion about this.
    It's time to face facts, Phil. You're a writer first. This applies to everything, not just football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be a writer. Armchair football coaches earn even less than writers.

    ReplyDelete