Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Defense of Leominster, and an Indictment of Boring People

A recent list cites Leominster as the most boring place in Massachusetts.


I happened to have had the opportunity to be in Leominster one night recently. I don't think it was the most boring place in Massachusetts.


I saw a band play.


I caught up with some good friends.


I hung out at a fire pit.


Next door to the fire pit was a party that seemed to be raging.


While en route from one venue to another I saw someone being given a sobriety test by police (certainly not acceptable behavior, if indeed the individual didn't pass, but also not boring either).


All in all, it was a fun, non-boring night.


The list in question was comprised by people from San Francisco and only includes the 50 most populous municipalities in Massachusetts. Since Massachusetts has 351 municipalities, the list really can't make a valid claim that Leominster is #1 in boredom when only one-seventh of the cities and towns were included. It also consisted of criteria, some of which, to me, were arbitrary and had nothing to do with whether a community is boring -- for example, population density.


I've had fun camping in the middle of nowhere with only a handful of people around, and I've had fun in a stadium of 70,000 people. Life is what you make of it.


If you're in Leominster, Boston, Pittsfield, New Bedford, or anywhere else, and you're complaining about being bored, look in the mirror. Maybe you're the problem.







No comments:

Post a Comment