Monday, October 10, 2011

Fatherly

A couple of weeks ago I went to a birthday party for my friends' two kids, aged 12 and 10. Ice cream cake. Presents. You know the drill. I won't go into details, but they come from somewhat of a disadvantaged background and it was nice to see them have a great day.

This past week I got a card in the mail from the kids, thanking me for being there. And one of them concluded it by saying:

"You are like a father to me. You do fun things with us."

There's more to being a father than having ice cream cake with the kids and doing fun things. That said, this was one of the nicest and most touching things anyone has ever said to me.

I will probably never be a real father. But it's nice to know I've made a difference in the life of a couple of kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment